High-Quality Legal Representation In Kentucky And Indiana
Edward L. Metzger III
- Federal Criminal Defense
- State Criminal Defense
- Insurance Defense
- Personal Injury
- Criminal Appeals
- Wills and Probate
Edward L. ("Lee") Metzger III is one of the premier trial lawyers in Northern Kentucky. He is licensed to practice in Kentucky, Ohio, and Indiana, in the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, and in the United States District Courts for the Eastern District of Kentucky, Western District of Kentucky, Southern District of Ohio, and Southern District of Indiana. His practice primarily consists of defending those accused of serious crimes and representing individuals, businesses, and insurance companies in personal injury cases. He is well-recognized for his abilities, having been named by Super Lawyers© as a Rising Star from 2019-2023. The bulk of his civil practice is in the areas of insurance defense, personal injury, and wrongful death.
Lee's passion is in his robust criminal defense practice. He routinely defends those accused of serious felony offenses, particularly in federal court. The long and short of it is that you need Lee if you're in "big trouble," facing lots of time in prison or other serious consequences. Other lawyers often call him for advice on their criminal cases. He is a member of the Criminal Justice Act Panel in the Eastern District of Kentucky at Covington, and has tried a number of criminal cases designated as "complex" by the federal judiciary. He has guided clients through many types of criminal allegations. Examples include:
- Bomb Threats/Terrorism
- Child Abuse
- Child pornography (possession, receipt, and production)
- Drug offenses (e.g. methamphetamine, heroin, fentanyl, carfentanil, cocaine, crack, and pills/prescription drugs)
- False statement in application/use of a passport
- Federal crimes
- Fraud (e.g. mail fraud, insurance fraud, tax fraud, business fraud, etc.)
- Gun crimes
- Identity Theft
- Immigration offenses
- Insider Trading
- Money laundering
- Public Corruption
- Racketeering/RICO conspiracies
-Robbery/Hobbs Act Robbery
- Sex offenses
- Theft offenses
- Unlawful distribution of drugs (i.e., "trafficking")
- White collar crimes
Lee also handles criminal appeals, § 2255 motions, and habeas corpus petitions for post-conviction relief. He is a member of the Criminal Justice Act Panel for the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, and regularly represents indigent defendants in criminal appeals. He has briefed a number of petitions for a writ of certiorari to the United States Supreme Court.
Examples of his success in the criminal arena include:
- Representation of a defendant who was federally charged in a carfentanil conspiracy that resulted in an overdose death. The mandatory minimum sentence was life imprisonment. Due to Lee's adept management of the case and the filing of several key defensive motions, the charge against his client was dismissed.
- Defense of a wrongfully accused individual in a child pornography case. The case was tried, resulting in a hung jury and subsequent dismissal.
- Defense of an innocent man charged with being a felon in possession of a firearm. The case was dismissed after the filing of several defensive motions.
- Representation of a defendant on appeal following his guilty plea. The defendant's conviction was vacated due to Lee's argument that the conviction was obtained in violation of the defendant's due process rights.
-Successful appeal of a sentence upon revocation of supervised release. Lee was able to persuade the court of appeals that the district court had improperly calculated the sentencing guidelines as a matter of law.
Lee also prepares simple wills, and helps families navigate the probate and estate administration process when a loved one passes away.
- Notre Dame Law School, Notre Dame, Indiana
- J.D. - 2010
- Honors: cum laude
- University of Kentucky
- B.A. - 2007
- Honors: summa cum laude
- Major: History and Classics
- Kentucky, 2011
- Ohio, 2010
- Indiana, 2011
- Super Lawyers Rising Star
- NKBA Volunteer Lawyer of the Year
Classes & Seminars
- Intensive Trial Advocacy, Notre Dame Law School, 2021 to Present
- KBA Convention - Various CLE
- Kentucky Bar Association, 2022-2023 YLD Chair
- Northern Kentucky Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
Current Employment Position
What our Clients are Saying
“Lee Metzger helped me through the most difficult and emotionally charged period of my life. In short, someone’s purposeful deceit and exploitation in a contract put my wife’s and son’s lives at risk.
From our first consultation, Lee was compassionate but realistic. He plainly laid out my legal standing while acknowledging the gross limitations of the law. He provided me with clear options for strategies moving forward and included his honest, professional opinions of likely outcomes. At all times I was 100% confident that he was being honest with me.
When I chose a more aggressive (read: scorched-earth) approach than he recommended, he enthusiastically went after the defendants with all the righteous vengeance I could have hoped for. When that strategy didn’t work (as he said it likely wouldn’t) he quickly pivoted and still won a satisfactory resolution.
While I hope to never need his services again, if I or my loved ones need an attorney, I will immediately call Lee.
After my first meeting with Lee Metzger, I felt like I had hope again. He lit the light at the end of the tunnel for me. He treated me like a human that needed help! He treated my family with the most upright respect they deserved and needed.
Lee’s experience in federal court was invaluable. He was able to tell there was error made, and unconstitutional searches were clear for him. He knew exactly what kind of uphill battle we had coming. Also, more important than anything, I told him the truths of the bad and the ugly. Honesty is the most crucial part while being indicted. Be clear with your attorney and you’ll receive clear results. Lee’s knowledge on how to navigate through the federal court is very formidable to have on your side, especially when you’re innocent. Even when you’re not, his ability to get you through it and to have the best outcome is an accomplishment itself.
I believe the real heroes in our world don’t wear capes. They do what Lee did, he sought justice. Knowing that we earned my liberty back and cleared my name is probably the greatest feeling in the world.
“Mr. Metzger, I would like to thank you for helping me to get my Supervised Release violation overturned. Thank you for being very responsive to me and letting me know every step of the way and letting me know what we were up against.
If anyone is wanting to hire you, they are in the right hands. Thank you for helping me feel confident in my case by staying in contact with me and my family, explaining our arguments and even asking my opinion on things, and most of all putting up a fight. Thanks for meeting my expectations as a lawyer.”